Sunday Assembly Edinburgh is part of a network of ‘secular congregations’ around the world. We share a ‘Public Charter’ – a statement of values and intentions – reproduced below. Our Edinburgh Sunday Assembly, like all the assemblies, is independently run by volunteers. We have a committee, and also a wider group of helpers/advocates/supporters. Within the groundrules given in the Charter, we make our own decisions and operate as we feel best for Edinburgh and Scotland.
We would like to encourage more Sunday Assemblies to start in Scotland and can offer support, mentoring, advice, materials and perhaps a financial float to enthusiastic start-up groups. Contact us if you’re interested.
The Public Charter
Sunday Assembly is a network of secular congregations that celebrate life. Our motto: live better, help often, wonder more. Our mission: to help everyone find and fulfill their potential. Our vision: a secular congregation in every town, city and village that wants one. We welcome all who welcome all.
We are here for everyone who wants to:
We aim to provide inspiring, thought-provoking and practical ideas that help people to live the lives they want to lead and be the people they want to be.
Assemblies are communities of action building lives of purpose, encouraging us all to help anyone who needs it to support each other.
Hearing talks, singing as one, listening to readings and even playing games helps us to connect with each other and the awesome world we live in.
The Sunday Assembly
1. Is 100% celebration of life. We are born from nothing and go to nothing. Let’s enjoy it together.
2. Has no doctrine. We have no set texts so we can make use of wisdom from all sources.
3. Has no deity. We don’t do supernatural but we also won’t tell you you’re wrong if you do.
4. Is radically inclusive. Everyone is welcome, regardless of their beliefs – this is a place of love that is open and accepting.
5. If free to attend, not-for-profit and volunteer run. We ask for donations to cover our costs and support our community work.
6. Has a community mission. Through our Action Heroes (you!), we will be a force for good.
7. Is independent. We do not accept sponsorship or promote outside businesses, organisations or services.
8. Is here to stay. With your involvement, The Sunday Assembly will make the world a better place.
9. We won’t tell you how to live, but we will try to help you do it as well as you can.
10. And remember point 1… The Sunday Assembly is a celebration of the one life we know we have.